History & Heritage
Stevensville is a small- unincorporated community on KentIsland in Queen Anne’s County, Maryland with a population of approximately 5,880, located at the intersection of Main Street, MD 18, and Love Point Road, MD 835. Old Stevensville is on the National Register of Historic Places. Historic Stevensville sits on land once called Stevens Adventure, a 1694 land grant to Francis Stevens. The town developed after the 1850 sale of two farms and was planned around a central triangle with all streets radiating from the triangle. An 1877 tax map shows the town had grown to nearly 30 structures. Stevensville’s development benefited from the steamboat based trade system, which linked the eastern and western shores in the mid- 19th century. The railroad came to Stevensville in 1902, and by 1909 the town had two schools, four doctors, a blacksmith, and sawmill. The end of passenger rail service in 1938 and freight service in 1948 halted the growth of the town. Development in Stevensville halted during the Great Depression and was later affected by the bridge construction after World War II. As a result, the town center of Stevensville was bypassed by a new highway, Rt. 50, and saved from demolition. Today, Stevensville is a community that retains much of its charming appearance and reflects its development as a rural crossroads town from its founding in 1850 up to the Great Depression.
There are numerous historic structures in the downtown area.
- Cray House( c. 1809)- Located on Cockey Lane, this gambrel roofed, wooden house is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Historic Christ Church( c. 1880)- Originally home to the oldest continuous Christian congregation in Maryland, the Queen Anne style church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Stevensville Train Depot (c. 1902) and Caboose( c. 1929)- This was the original station house at Stevensville when the stop became part of the Queen Anne’s railroad system. The structure has been restored and relocated from north of town to Cockey Lane.
- Old Stevensville Post Office (c. 1877)- A late 19th century structure situated gable end to Love Point Road on a very narrow lot, this small building served for many years as the Stevensville Post Office. Currently it serves as the headquarters and gift shop for the Kent Island Heritage Society (www.kentislandheritagesociety.org) .
- Stevensville Bank Building (c. 1903)- This structure is not only the oldest bank building on Kent Island, but also one of the earliest surviving in the county. The classical architectural details helped to place it on the National Register of Historic Places.